Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 9 23:37:08 PDT 2016

On Friday, 10 June 2016 at 06:25:55 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> On Thursday, 9 June 2016 at 16:44:23 UTC, Yura wrote:
>> 4) The C language is well tested and rock solid stable.
>
> loooooool.

ah, sorry, let me explain myself. i hit ALOT of gcc bugs in my
life. and i never fixed any of them myself, 'cause gcc is very
huge, and i don't feel that it worth it. even with bugs that
blocked my work i used workarounds and hand-written asm.

i hit some bugs in D too. curiously, it comparable with gcc in
numbers (maybe this tells us something, and maybe it is just a
coincidence). some of them i was able not only report, but fix.
usually, official fix comes later, and was better than mine hacky
patch, but hey... DMD compiler is less complex than gcc, *alot*
less complex.

now, why i loled: i thinked about what you wrote, and found that
gcc bugs blocks my work/pet projects more often than dmd bugs. it
may sounds strange, but dmd bug is usually either fixed fast
enough (and building new dmd+druntime+phobos from sources takes
less than two minutes on my PC), or i know a workaround.

contrary to that, even if gcc bug was fixed fast (and usually
they don't), rebuilding gcc takes 20‒30 minutes. and most of the
time i can't even understand what fix does, due to huge and
unknown codebase.

so no, C languange is not "rock solid stable". it just has alot
less features, and if you will use the same feature set in DMD,
you will hardly hit a bug too.