Optimizations and performance

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 10 07:25:25 PDT 2016

On Friday, 10 June 2016 at 01:54:21 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> By language you usually mean a portable language, not machine
> language.

I believe there are more platforms that have an assembler, but
not a C++ compiler and C++ libraries you want to use.

> Machine language benchmark the hardware, not the compiler.

It only means assembler reaches the theoretical limit of
performance by choosing right language abstractions, that you
wanted to benchmark.

> But even then, domain experts are more likely to write higher
> performance code than non-domain experts, so machine language
> isn't sufficient.

Some domain experts don't know (or don't want) any programming
language and use matlab instead.

>> Also what's about cost/benefit ratio?
>
> How do you benchmark cost/benefit?

By eyeballing the source.