OT – the Javaverse [was Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption]

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 10 10:09:18 PDT 2016

On Tue, 2016-06-07 at 15:15 +0000, Chris via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> Java has lambdas now (since version 8, I think) and I read
> somewhere that it's not certain that Java programmers will adopt
> (i.e. use) them at all. D has the advantage that its users are
> […]

Whatever you read, the writer didn't really know what they were talking
about. At least not in general, and if they were talking of the
Javaverse as a whole. Java 8 features such as lambda expressions,
Streams, method references, etc. are no longer even controversial.
There is a world-wide activity in transforming Java 6 and Java 7 code
to Java 8. Yes some of this is pull rather than push, and I am sure
there are islands of intransigence (*). However the bulk of Java
programmers will eventually get and use the features.

Of course many people have stopped using Java and use Kotlin, Ceylon,
or Scala (**). The crucial point here is that the Javaverse is much,
much more than just the Java language.

(*) Usually people who think Java 5 was a bad move and stick with Java
1.4.2.

(**) There are others but these are the main players.

--

Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk