Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 10 10:20:29 PDT 2016

On Friday, 10 June 2016 at 15:27:03 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> Most developers have titles like "Software Engineer" or "Senior
> Softweer Engineer." They'e frequently called programmers and/or
> software developers when not talking about titles.

Neither academia or businesses use Computer Scientist as a job
title... tough?

> Yeah. Most universities in the US have a Computer Science
> degree, but some have Software Engineering as a separate
> degree. My college had Computer Science, Software Engineer, and
> Computer Engineering, which is atypical. All of them took
> practical courses, but the SE guys didn't have to take some of
> the more theoretical stuff and instead took additional classes
> focused on working on projects in teams and whatnot.

Sounds like a good setup. At my uni we could pick freely what
courses we wanted each semester, but needed a certain combination
of fields and topics to get a specific degree. Like for entering
computer science you would need the most feared topic, Program
Verification taught by Ole-Johan Dahl (co-creator of Simula) who
was very formal on the blackboard... I felt it was useless at the
time, but there are some insights you have to be force-fed...
only to be appreciated later in life. It is useless, but still
insightful.

Not sure if those more narrow programs are doing their students a
favour, as often times the hardest part is getting a good
intuition for the basics of a topic, while getting the "expert"
knowledge for a specific task is comparatively easier. Especially
now we have the web. So, being "forced" to learning the basics of
a wider field is useful.

I'm rather sceptical of choosing C++ as a language for instance.
Seems like you would end up wasting a lot of time on trivia and
end up students hating programming...