Allowing DConf presentations to be spoken in other languages

Adrian Matoga via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 10 15:36:30 PDT 2016

On Friday, 10 June 2016 at 21:31:36 UTC, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> After this year's DConf I started to wonder if it could be
> beneficial to provide a slot during the conference where the
> speaker would do his presentation in a language other than
> English.
>
> I realize that many are like me and would not be able to
> consume such information, which is why the suggestion is to
> limit talks from other languages.
>
> My hope would be that it would help produce more language
> information content outside of English and strengthen those
> communities. Possibly uniting communities we don't see, but
> still center around D.
>
> This isn't for me, such an idea is not helpful for me. Is there
> anyone in a position who could speak to this being a reasonable
> thing to try?

That's what local or national conferences are for. Still, even in
such ones people often prefer to use English (I've seen it in
Portugal and Poland), as CS vocabulary for other languages is
usually awkward, non-consistent or non-existent, and it feels
even more awkward to use English verbs and nouns interspersed
with your native prepositions.