I'd love to see DScript one day ...

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 11 02:23:55 PDT 2016

On Friday, 10 June 2016 at 22:01:53 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/10/2016 3:55 AM, Chris wrote:
> > Cool. I'd love to see `DScript` one day - and replace JS once
> and for all ...
> > well ... just day dreaming ...
>
> Dreams are reality:
>
> https://github.com/DigitalMars/DMDScript

Thanks for opening a new thread about this topic.

Does DMDScript work with the latest version of D2? I once wanted
to use DMDScript as a server side JS with vibe.d, but there were
issues concerning versions of D etc. so I dropped the idea.

However, with `DScript` I meant a new scripting language that can
draw on the power of D, not necessarily a re-implementation of
JS. Adam[1] and ketmar[2] have already worked on D based
scripting languages. I wonder, if there is interest in creating a
D-based (not `debased`) scripting language. D has features that
are perfect for scripting or DS languages. Why not try something
new? Having a child language might also help with D development
in general, who knows.

[1] Adam
https://github.com/adamdruppe/arsd
(jsvar.d, script.d)