Fixed date to move to ddox for Phobos documentation

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 11 05:31:28 PDT 2016

On Saturday, June 11, 2016 08:45:08 Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d
wrote:

> >> I'm a bit bummed about that. I like it. Is my understanding incorrect
> >> that disqus is fairly established by now? I see it on a bunch of legit
> >> sites, and it seems to add value to those as it could add to ours.
> >
> > I can see a good reason to have a disqus forum for each page, as I have
> > found tremendous value from the php.net forums on each symbol (with
> > common tricks to use with the given function).
> >
> > But the problem is, people will ask questions on these forums, and
> > likely will not get answers.
>
> Why not? -- Andrei

Are _you_ going to spend time going through every single page in the
documentation, looking to see whether someone asked a question and then
reply to them if they did? I'm sure not doing that, and I doubt that many of
us will be. I, for one, rarely even look at the online documentation. I
usually just look at the source code locally. And even if I did look at the
online docs on a regular basis, I'd only see comments on the symbols that I
happened to be looking up, and even then, only if I took the extra time to
look and see whether there were comments. I sure wouldn't be going to the
docs just to see whether someone asked a question - especially when there
so many pages to search through.

I really don't see how it's tractable to have hundreds (if not thousands) of
pages on dlang.org where someone could ask a question. They will
occasionally get an answer, but it's more likely to be from someone else who
doesn't know much than it is from anyone who could give a good answer, since
the folks who are most likely to give good answers won't even be looking.
What's far more likely is that folks will get frustrated, because they asked
a question on the documentation page for a symbol and never got an answer -
or if they did, it was weeks or months later.

- Jonathan M Davis