I'd love to see DScript one day ...

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 11 21:07:12 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 12 June 2016 at 00:37:50 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
> On Saturday, 11 June 2016 at 10:34:41 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> On Saturday, 11 June 2016 at 10:14:25 UTC, qznc wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> No, JS is here to stay, unfortunately.
>
> Good news, take a look at asmjs.org
>
> In the future you'll be able to compile your D code into
> javascript assembly, and run it in the browser.  I predict LLVM
> will have a javascript assembly backend, so LDC would get this
> for free.  Pretty cool stuff going on in the web world right
> now.

Emscripten has been able to compile C++ to asm.js for a while -
uses modified llvm back end and ported C runtime.  I guess web
assembly will take off, but somebody would still need to port the
runtime for D and integrate with new llvm wasm back end when it
is stable.  See binaryem in meantime.  I am not sure anyone is
working on this for D currently, but we might put this up
somewhere as a project in case volunteer comes along.

Then when that's done still need to write a library to do web
things like provide access to DOM from D.

Emscripten already looks quite nice, and I was so wanting to be
able to use it for serious work - it just doesn't seem to be
there just yet.

But I agree with your basic point, and it would be great not to
have to write js.