The Problem With DIPs

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 12 11:50:06 PDT 2016

On 06/12/2016 08:19 PM, Guillaume Boucher wrote:
> On Sunday, 12 June 2016 at 12:16:11 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>>>
>>> Cool!
>>
>> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/d5996d6d-1f8e-2fa7-31a7-177c121a9f90@dicebot.lv
>>

> What are the reasons for putting the DIPs into several directories
> (Drafts, Approved, Implemented and Discarded)?  Rust also did that at
> first, but they merged them later into one folder (see
> https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/issues/360).  If you keep the
> structure as is, what is the preferred way to link to a certain DIP?

Rationale is to allow quickly navigate through existing DIPs (in absence
of actual database to query), filtering categories is probably most
common navigation task.

Your are very correct about importance of link stability though. What
comes to my mind immediately is to store all DIPs in same folder but
keep Approved/Implementec/etc as folders containing symlinks to the
merged one (git stores symlinks just fine).