I'd love to see DScript one day ...

cym13 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 13 23:52:38 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 14 June 2016 at 03:31:10 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 01:36:48AM +0000, Yuxuan Shui via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> >
>> > It's a great dream!
>>
>> Don't we have a pretty efficient JIT javascript implementation
>> in D already?
>>
>> https://github.com/higgsjs/Higgs
>
> I know that. What I meant was that instead of writing
> javascript we'd write D instead, in our webpages. Or at least,
> some subset of D that's safe for the web. I.e., instead of:

> 	<script type="text/javascript" src="myscript.js"/>
>
> you'd write

> 	<script type="text/d" src="myscript.d"/>
>
> It's unlikely to happen in the near future, though, if at all.
> But one can dream.  :-)

I love D but I don't see the point of putting it directly in a
browser. It's
main forces (compile-time stuff and speed) would have no impact
at all and
the static typing would just make it harder for no good reason.
The web is a
very dynamic place so I'd rather have a very dynamic language.
Maybe not
javascript but really no D. Let's keep D where it's strong and
accept that it
can't be strong at everything and that other languages are better
suited for
the task.