Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Peter Lewis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 14 08:52:06 PDT 2016

As someone learning D, I thought I would give my insight in how I
came to D.

My biggest reason for choosing D is the GC. I have come from Java
and don't quite believe that I'm ready to manage my own memory
throughout an entire program, but the ability to disconnect from
the GC is a great way to start. I'm not saying that D should be a
stopgap language, it has far too much potential for that.

I think that D definitely has many positives but that there is
still work that needs to go into it. But all languages need work,
no language is perfect.

I don't have much insight onto how the long term development and
goals have gone, but I see that D is moving in a good direction
and hope it will be around for many years to come. I also wish
that D would have a wider adoption.

As it goes for tools. I agree work needs to be done on them but
that it is not as important as a well done, competent compiler
set and great documentation. D has great docs, and a quite
competent compiler group.