[RFC] List of contributors per module

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 14 18:10:42 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 25 May 2016 at 06:51:45 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/24/2016 12:22 PM, Seb wrote:
>> I recently made a PR to dlang.org which is aimed to show a
>> list of all
>> contributors to a Phobos module based on the git history.
>> The idea is to give all the awesome people who have helped and
>> contributed their
>> earned credit!
>
> One idea is to add a "Contributors" button, and when clicked,
> it executes some javascript that then loads and displays the
> avatars for the contributors.

As there as been diverse feedback and no conclusion, I would like
try to revive this discussion - preferably on Github [1].
To argue against some of the posts here, a short summary of the
Github discussion:

1) There's _no_ performance impact - everything is down lazily
after the page was loaded (see Github for an detailed description)
2) The clutter isn't visible too most users anyhow as the
contributer's list is shown at the bottom of the page
3) It currently would require a lot of hard-to-main ddoc hacks to
due this at compile-time (see Github)

If you have better ideas how we could incorporate such
statistics, let me know :)

[1] https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/pull/1307