std.experimental.checkedint is ready for comments!

tsbockman via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 15 11:50:32 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 15 June 2016 at 16:40:19 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> I think there are a few considerable issues with the proposal,
> but also that all are fixable.

I already sent a much longer message detailing some of the
reasons why I believe my design is sensible. But, before we
continue this discussion much further, I need to stop and make
one thing clear:

What you are proposing is *not* "fixing" my design - it is
basically scrapping it and replacing it with a ground-up rewrite,
with perhaps some bits and pieces and general inspiration taken
from my work.

I'm OK with the community rejecting my design if that's what
people really want to do, but I will not be implementing your
proposal myself. I will simply leave `checkedint` on DUB, and
move on with my life.

So, I'm putting out a general call now for the community to
download the DUB package, try actually *using* it for something,
and speak up as to whether the design seems good, or not.

If the decision is made to accept the high-level design, then we
can go back to bikeshedding about names, fixing typos,
tweaking/trimming the API, etc.