Garbage Collector

Konstantin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 15 12:39:59 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 15 June 2016 at 18:23:52 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:

> They're not acceptable for a systems programming language as
> they require you to pay for something that you might not use.
>
> According to our resident GC maintainer (among many other
> things), they would cause a 1%-5% slow down in the language:
> https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pull/1081#issuecomment-69151660

Well I’m not sure about the 5% (MS says their write barrier
overhead is comparable to the cost of a simple method call,
namely 6.4ns:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms973852.aspx), but
yeah, there’s some tradeoff, for having a good GC.

By the way, Go implemented those barriers in version 1.5 a year
ago: https://blog.golang.org/go15gc