std.experimental.checkedint is ready for comments!

tsbockman via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 15 17:07:12 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 16 June 2016 at 00:03:26 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 06/15/2016 07:34 PM, tsbockman wrote:
>> The whole point of `checkedint` is to be able to write
>> algorithms based
>> on the simplifying assumption that your variables behave like
>> real,
>> UNbounded mathematical integers, secure in the knowledge that
>> an error
>> message will be generated if that assumption is invalidated.
>
> Fair point, though one could make the same claim for integers
> within other limits than the machine's. -- Andrei

Sure. I'm just trying to explain my design goals and philosophy -
not to argue that no other approach could be valid.

But, I would appreciate it if comments distinguished between:

1) My goals and philosophy differ from yours, versus
2) My implementation is bad.

I think a lot of the high-level criticism you brought is really
rooted in (1), even though you present it as (2).