std.experimental.checkedint is ready for comments!

tsbockman via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 16 08:25:54 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 16 June 2016 at 13:56:26 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> And there is a further problem -- Walter and Andrei are
> gatekeepers, but are stretched incredibly thin.

Having had some time to think about all it now, I believe this
was my actual problem.

When I started working on this, I was new to the D project and,
based on following the GitHub discussions and observing the
voting and review process for `std.logger` and `std.ndslice`, I
believed that the acceptance process for Phobos was somewhat
democratic: the more people who approved of a design, the more
likely it would be accepted (with, of course, substantially more
weight placed on the opinions of the leadership, who at the time
I identified more or less as, "those with merge rights").

Having seen the outcome of the recent auto-decoding discussion,
and the way that this review effectively ended abruptly the
moment that Andrei Alexandrescu decided that he didn't like my
design for `checkedint` - despite a number of other people
earlier speaking positively of it - I now perceive that the
democratic aspects of the Phobos process are essentially advisory
in nature, with little-to-no real authority attached to them.

I do not intend this as a criticism, as I am not a stickler for
democracy. I do think this should be communicated clearly to
future new contributors, though, to avoid confusion. (Keep in
mind that I joined the project before the "all new Phobos symbols
must be approved by Andrei" rule was announced.)

Anyway, I think I see things from Andrei's perspective now, and
would like to apologize for taking offense, now that I understand
his role better.

I will, however, be ending my participation in the D development
process, as I am not personally interested in working in an
environment where everything I do needs pre-approval from someone
with his opinions and leadership style (this is not specifically
about `checkedint`) - especially since he seems too busy to
effectively manage more contributors using the current system,
anyway.

I will continue to be available for follow-up on the work I have
already done, and will try to finish at least some of my current
pending pull requests. I wish D well, and may still post on the
forums once in a while.