std.experimental.checkedint is ready for comments!

tsbockman via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 16 14:11:52 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 16 June 2016 at 21:02:32 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/15/2016 8:56 PM, tsbockman wrote:
>> Pull requests are routinely reviewed in an upside-down fashion:
>>
>> 1) Formatting
>> 2) Typos
>> 3) Names
>> 4) Tests (and names again)
>> 6) Docs (and names)
>> 8) Design (and more about names)
>> 9) Does this even belong in Phobos?
>
> It's a consequence of starting to read a document cold, i.e.
> the first thing noticed is the formatting, then the typos, then
> the names, etc.
>
> A deep understanding of the design comes much later, only after
> having thoroughly read it and hit all the speedbumps of typos,
> etc.

Yes I understand - it's a very natural thing to do (and I have
done it myself).

I think my suggestion fundamentally boils down to, "Try to
communicate to submitters early on who needs to approve their
change, and that they may delay addressing all the lesser issues
until after their basic proposal has been (tentatively) approved."

My problem with `checkedint` was that I formed a wrong idea of
whose approval I needed (interested Phobos devs collectively,
versus Andrei specifically).