std.experimental.checkedint is ready for comments!

tsbockman via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 16 16:27:06 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 16 June 2016 at 22:30:48 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Andrei is in charge of the library and has my full support.
>
> We've talked many times about raising the bar much higher on
> Phobos. It's a tough competitive environment for programming
> languages out there, and we should all expect the review
> process going forward for Phobos to be brutal.
>
> On the other hand, getting an endorsement from Andrei for a
> design is something anyone should be proud of, and I suspect
> will be worth the blood, sweat and tears.
>
> I know my own code has gotten a lot better from Andrei's
> professional criticism.

There are many ways to go about "raising the bar"; making Andrei
the sole arbiter of a design's quality will not necessarily
accomplish this, but will make the need for constant
communication with him a major bottleneck for development,
regardless. It also risks making him into a single point of
failure.

I do not think this approach will scale in the long run, no
matter who is given that role. Of course, I would be happy to be
proven wrong.