Cross platform android ldc compiler

Andre Pany via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 17 06:35:01 PDT 2016

On Friday, 17 June 2016 at 12:26:18 UTC, Gerald wrote:
> On Friday, 17 June 2016 at 11:48:23 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to share an idea with you. I do not know how far I will
>> come myself with this idea due to my lack of linux and ldc
>> knowledge.
>>
>> There is a great virtualization tool called docker. With this
>> tool it is possible to create images of software tools. This
>> images
>> will run out of the box on every system (mac/linux/windows).
>>
>> I think of a docker image containing ldc and all necessary
>> dependencies
>> for compiling an android/ios application. The D source code you
>> can store in a shared directory between your host system and
>> the
>> docker virtual system. The docker image could in addition
>> provide
>> a web interface to start the compilation/linking process.
>>
>> In the end, if you have the docker image, you will have s.th.
>> like a
>> "D android compiler as a service" which works on every major
>> operation system. Just install docker and select the image
>> from the free
>> docker marketplace.
>
> Docker doesn't run natively on Windows and OSX, it requires a
> VM such as VirtualBox, since it depends on linux kernel
> features like cgroups. IMHO, a better solution for a
> development environment then docker would be Vagrant
> (https://www.vagrantup.com) as this is the sort of use case it
> is designed around and it is based on VMs from the get-go
> (though it can work with docker as a provider as well),

For windows and mac VirtualBox is included in the docker
installation routine. Most users won't even notice Virtual Box is
working behind the scene of docker.

Last time I checked vagrant, I thought vagrant is a generator for
virtual box images, but i will check again and include it into my
research.

Kind regards
Andre