std.experimental.checkedint is ready for comments!

tsbockman via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 17 19:20:02 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 18 June 2016 at 01:28:38 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/17/2016 4:38 PM, tsbockman wrote:
>> This is, of course, his prerogative as lead designer for
>> Phobos, but it also
>> kills any interest I have in working on the project for free.
>

> You know, I do sympathize, even if I don't agree. One big
> motivation for D in the first place was the C++ community not
> being interested in my contributions. Ironically, they're
> adopting them one by one anyway :-)

Indeed, D has many excellent ideas. I hope that some day you'll
consider allowing a breaking "D3" though, as the D language
design also has a great deal of technical debt accumulated from
the blitz of feature additions in D2.

If that debt can be payed off, I don't think that any of the
currently popular languages could compete with it.

> If you're not interested in continuing with this, I suggest
> packaging it up and making it available via Dub. Sort of let
> the marketplace decide.

It's been on DUB since before this review started, and I plan to
support it (including incorporating some of the feedback from
this thread).