Phobos Action Items

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 18 13:04:50 PDT 2016

Starting a new thread with this, as requested. There are things here for all
skill levels and time commitments.

1. eliminate all gratuitous use of gc

2. review all Phobos modules for compatibility with ranges - std.zip, for
example, was done before ranges and does not work with them

3. use -cov to improve code coverage of Phobos unittests

4. make sure every function in Phobos has an example

5. make sure every function in Phobos has Params: and Returns: sections
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/Phobos_Documentation_-_call_to_action_258777.html

6. replace std.xml with something we can be proud of that is second to none in
performance (Robert burner Schadek is mentoring on this
https://github.com/lodo1995/experimental.xml)

7. compile a list of popular modules in other languages and see what we should have

8. create a greenthreads module that works like Goroutines

9. create a module that enables code to be run on GPUs (John Colvin is doing
work on this, ask him how to help!)

10. now that D can interface to C++ templates and exceptions, create the
interface code to the C++ STL, put it in core.stdcpp

11. review all of Phobos for @safe compatibility - see some of the library
issues here
https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&component=druntime&component=phobos&keywords=safe&keywords_type=allwords&list_id=209021&query_format=advanced

12. remove dependency on autodecode from Phobos

13. there was recently a thread on Phobos desperately needing a BigDecimal
module, someone helpfully posted links to a couple of free C versions, I suggest
that someone build a D wrapper for one or convert one to D.

14. write articles about D

15. pick a bugzilla issue and work on it
https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&component=druntime&component=phobos&list_id=209020&query_format=advanced

16. this list is incomplete, it is off the top of my head

I've learned to not ask for a gui library :-)