std.experimental.checkedint is ready for comments!

tsbockman via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 18 13:31:07 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 18 June 2016 at 19:49:07 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/18/2016 8:38 AM, tsbockman wrote:
>> removing auto decode (what's the point, when Andrei is
>> emphatic that the feature itself cannot ever be deprecated?).
>> Even so, those discussions were very recent; it is quite
>> possible that someone around here intends to work on them
>> (or already is) and just hasn't got far enough to want
>> feedback yet.
>
> Actually, Andrei has agreed with the issues autodecoding has,
> he's just (legitimately) wary of the extent of disruption it
> would cause by removing it. He is also in favor of fixing
> Phobos so it is not dependent on it.

Unless you're trying to say that Andrei has now agreed to
deprecate autodecoding, you're not actually disagreeing with what
I wrote.

The most enticing reason to work on removing Phobos' dependency
on autodecoding, is to pave the way for deprecating the feature
itself. The motivation for the Phobos changes is much reduced if
the deprecation itself is not planned.

Anyway, I'm not trying to restart the autodecoding debate here
(nor to discourage anyone who wants to from working on this), so
I suggest you start a new thread if you have something to
announce about this issue that wasn't already said at the
conclusion of the last debate.