Weird compiler

Rene Zwanenburg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 19 08:00:07 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 19 June 2016 at 14:45:29 UTC, mogu wrote:
> Moreover, I wonder if D is really a cross-platform programming
> language?! The official dmd only supports x86 structure. You
> can never build a project with third party static library in
> windows independently.

Back when DMD on windows exclusively used the OMF object format
and optlink, a common complaint was that DMD didn't use the
microsoft tools. I guess the DMD installer could ask to install
the SDK when VS isn't present though.

> And how I can build an android program? LDC2? So what dmd is?
> Only for a bit faster compiling time?

Yeah, use LDC or GDC for the fastest executables and widest
platform support. Don't underestimate the value of fast
compilation, it's incredibly useful while writing code.

> After a whole day struggled in dmd and static library, I
> rewrote the demo GUI tool in Nim. Only in ten minutes, all
> works. Sigh.

You can always post in the forums if you're stuck. The learn
forum is quite active most of the day.