UTF-8 Everywhere

Charles Hixson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 19 23:36:09 PDT 2016

To me it seems that a lot of the time processing is more efficient with
UCS-4 (what I call utf-32).  Storage is clearly more efficient with
utf-8, but access is more direct with UCS-4.  I agree that utf-8 is
generally to be preferred where it can be efficiently used, but that's
not everywhere.  The problem is efficient bi-directional
conversion...which D appears to handle fairly well already with text()
and dtext().  (I don't see any utility for utf-16.  To me that seems
like a first attempt that should have been deprecated.)