Is dmd fast?

qznc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 22 06:46:50 PDT 2016

Walter and we as a community often claim that dmd is fast as in
"compiles quickly". Go also claims this. Rust does not. They even
state that compilation speed is one of the big tasks they are
working on.

 From the general sentiment, I would expect that dmd performs on
the level of Go and Rust being slower.

Now, D as a language supports arbitrary compile-time computation
so dmd can be arbitrarily slow. We need to look at the benchmark
carefully. I started with the canonical Hello World. Here are
some numbers:

Dash         0:00:00.002366
Bash         0:00:00.002474
TCC          0:00:00.007044
Python2      0:00:00.009881
Python3      0:00:00.015547
GCC          0:00:00.028578
Go           0:00:00.149691
Rust         0:00:00.212053
RDMD         0:00:00.275884
Haskell      0:00:00.310539
DMD          0:00:00.311102
Java         0:00:00.596517
Scala        0:00:01.917606
X10 Java     0:00:02.484673
X10 C++      0:00:03.887826

Hm, Rust is faster than dmd? Go is roughly twice as fast as dmd?

Destroy!

But run your own numbers first:
https://github.com/qznc/hello-benchmark ;)