Phobo's migration

Joerg Joergonson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 22 10:55:11 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 22 June 2016 at 16:51:32 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 June 2016 at 16:44:25 UTC, Joerg Joergonson
> wrote:
>> How bout Freezing Phobos, except for bugs and start migrating
>> it to Phobos 2.0?.
>
> This would kill the language.

How is that? That makes no sense. If Phobo's is production ready
as claimed then freezing it can't make it automagically
non-production ready, can it?

>> This will be migrating Phobos over to use the new
>> constructs(nogc, safe, etc),
>
> How, in your opinion, are these not being used already?

I didn't say they wernt, but they are being done on phobos, which
is suppose to be done. The fact that Stopwatch, Monotime,
TickDuration are all screwed up, etc... proves that there are
problems. The fact that Phobo's is trying to become nogc but
isn't yet also shows it has a ways to go.

>> By the time it's finished D3 will be around and it could be
>> used for it.
>
> D3 will probably never happen; at least not in the foreseeable
> future.

That gives us plenty of time, right?

>> This allows a clean break but and to learn, but not be
>> shackled by the past.  It could go rather fast(months rather
>> than years) since most of the code is already written, it just
>> needs to be migrated properly(might might not require anything
>> but copy and paste for large amounts of code).
>
> What exactly, in your opinion, needs to be changed? What's so
> broken that it needs a "clean break"?

Phobos is obviously poorly designed, hacked together,
manipulated, and in a constant flux of regressions, bugs,
additions, and removals. Have you every used .NET considerably?