Examples of dub use needed

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 22 12:00:56 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 22 June 2016 at 15:48:03 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

> I just see things from the perspective that I learned
> everything I needed from dub --help and the documentation that
> *is* online. The forums are linked in the menu item 'About'
> next to 'Documentation' at the top of code.dlang.org. All the
> information is there. Sure, it could probably clearer in some
> places, but it does exist and it is usable today. What needs to
> be improved?

Suppose you need to link against a .so file that is in another
directory. How do you find out how to do that on this page:
http://code.dlang.org/package-format?lang=json

But that's just one case. There are basically no examples at all
(and the ones that are there probably don't help). There's not
even a good explanation of what Dub is. Rust, on the other hand,
offers this: http://doc.crates.io/guide.html

Rust offers something professional that helps you get going
quickly (hasn't there been talk about the first five minutes?), D
pushes people away from the language. I will not touch Dub
because I can't tell others that they should figure out how to
use it by looking at the insides of existing packages and then
fiddling around with various configurations to see if they can
get it to work.

This is not to criticize anyone's work. But it is to say that
there is no way Dub, with its current documentation, should be
distributed with DMD.