Is dmd fast?

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 22 15:01:39 PDT 2016

On 6/22/2016 7:28 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 June 2016 at 13:46:50 UTC, qznc wrote:
>> RDMD         0:00:00.275884
>> DMD          0:00:00.311102
>

> Since rdmd is just a script wrapper around dmd, it shouldn't actually be faster.

rdmd caches "script" programs, so could be faster.

> BTW this more measures linker speed than compiler. dmd -c -o- just runs the
> compiler and skips filesystem output... it'd be pretty fast and if there's
> similar options for other compilers (gcc has -c too at least) it might be better
> for small programs.
>
> Larger programs I think is fair to include the link step, since it should be
> less a percentage there and you do need to run it anyway.

Also, "hello world" is just a handful of lines of code. Measuring compile speed
with this is measuring the time it takes to load dmd off of the disk,
initialize, etc., rather than time spent compiling. It's a constant added to
overall time.

"hello world" also imports object.d and std.stdio, both of which have a tendency
to accrete barnacles which slows down compilation by another constant.