Examples of dub use needed

Guido via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 23 06:31:37 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 23 June 2016 at 07:46:41 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> FWIW, this thread has inspired me to begin work on a project
> I've titled 'The DUB Handbook'. I've been meaning to write some
> tutorials about DUB (among other things) for learningd.org, but
> I think a detailed guide would be a more worthwhile project to
> pursue.
>
> My intention with the text is to provide a detailed description
> of every dub command and configuration directive, along with
> examples of how to use them in both JSON and SDLang formats.
> I've spent an hour getting it set up today (I'm using gitbook)
> and expect to be working on it over the next several weeks.
> When it's ready for feedback, I'll make it publicly available
> and announce it here in the forums. I plan to release it under
> a CC license.

Like I said, thanks for clearing things up.

But I have to say that more detailed descriptions of commands is
not what I had in mind. What are the best coding practices and
why?

I obviously haven't started using dub yet, so I won't be able to
judge whether a code example is merely adequate or very robust.
For example, why subpackages? It's in there for a reason; what
situations call for subpackages? Why use -ddoxFilterArgs? When &
how to static link? What dub-based project does a good job
building for multiple platforms?

 From what's been discussed, I should always specify version
number. Is there some best practice for flagging when a change to
dependencies breaks your code? I would create a build type that
lists the latest version of each dependency & run unittests. Is
there a better way that someone is using in the field?

Right now, I'm going around trying to steal the best coding
practices, and I only want to steal from the best.