Is dmd fast?

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 23 07:39:42 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 23 June 2016 at 13:32:35 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
> Or on linux use ld.gold instead of ld.bfd. Using .so instead of
> .a has another problem with speed. Application link against
> static phobos lib is much faster than against dynamic version.

either i didn't understood you right, or... my tests shows that
ld.gold is indeed faster than ld.bfd (as it should be), but
linking against libphobos2.so is still faster in both linkers
than linking against libphobos2.a. it is ~100 ms faster, for both
linkers.

and if you meant that resulting application speed is different...
tbh, i didn't noticed that at all. i did no benchmarks, but i
have videogame engine, for example, and sound engine with pure D
vorbis decoding, and some other apps, and never noticed any
significant speed/CPU load difference between .a and .so versions.