Phobo's migration

Joerg Joergonson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 23 10:24:23 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 23 June 2016 at 14:34:44 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> On Thursday, 23 June 2016 at 12:57:47 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
> wrote:
>> I don't mean this as disproof, but many companies are not
>> using Phobos, even though they use D.
>>
>> Sociomantic definitely does not (they use D1 currently, and
>> their D2 port probably uses a port of their library as well),
>> and I believe Weka.io does not either.
>>
>> Again, this isn't proof that Phobos isn't production ready. It
>> depends on what you need, and whether Phobos satisfies that
>> need.
>
> AFAIK the all of the companies on that page I linked use Phobos
> other than Weka and Sociomantic. So, that includes AdRoll and
> Facebook as companies who use Phobos.

So, 10 companies are using phobos!! That's amazing, sure shows
how great it is! I wonder if they use use import std.stdio; or
actually USE phobos.

Phobos clearly is hacked together shit... maybe not all, but at
least some. Searching for stuff in phobos continually brings up
posts about having to fix X in phobos or replace Y because of
reason Z.  It's clear that individuals all added their own thing
to phobos, all different.  You have different people taking the
reins creating their version of god with no real agreement from
the get go what the whole point of it all is. It's known as
cobblestone, and it's not that way to build lasting structures on.

You obviously have some personal reason why you chose to ignore
these facts.  I'm only suggesting that a better design can be
had, and this is de facto. Phobos isn't perfect.

Yes, .NET has MS behind it. But since you haven't used it you
have no clue how well designed it is.  D and phobo's will never
achieve millions of lines of code apps because it can't handle
it. Hence, most apps in D are 10's of thousands of lines at most.
They tend to be simple, more utility or special purpose apps, a
few games, or just apps that don't require much effort.

Their is a fundamental reason why D hasn't taken off, given that
the language design itself is better than C\C++(which is why
almost all of us are here).  But admitting that D is very
unbalanced compared to real world language(C\C++\C#\Java\etc) is
the first step to recovery.

The D language was designed well(was this solely done by
Walter?). It might not be perfect but its better than anything
else I've seen(and most here would have similar statements?)...
but when it comes to the stuff that actually makes the language
do useful things, it is lacking compared to everything else worth
considering. Now why is it so unbalanced?

If D had a better tooling, a truly STANDARD library, an IDE, a
GUI lib, etc all on par with it's language capabilities, probably
the only people not using D in this world would be Bruce
Jenner... and that's only because he's spending all his time
trying to find his penis.

I don't think any of us here have 50 years to see all this stuff
actually happen. I'm definitely not going to wait around that
long. At some point, The D "community" has to get it's shit
together and start making real decisions about how to proceed in
to the future. That requires tough decisions and real work... it
requires someone with a visions, until then everything will just
be cobbled together... and at some point will fall apart.

Why do you not see the blatant discrepancy between the D language
and everything else about D? Do you think that everything else is
truly up to par with the language? What use is a the fastest
engine in the world if it takes a certain special fuel that no
one has invented yet? (It has a ton of use but we have to stop
putting gasoline in it and invent the fuel it needs to work
optimally)