Phobo's migration

Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 23 11:51:35 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 23 June 2016 at 17:24:23 UTC, Joerg Joergonson wrote:
> So, 10 companies are using phobos!! That's amazing, sure shows
> how great it is! I wonder if they use use import std.stdio; or
> actually USE phobos.

It's not a complete list and anyone with half a brain would be
able to surmise that. E.g. the company I work for uses D but
there's no brand recognition there so there's no reason to
include it.

> Phobos clearly is hacked together shit

You keep saying "clearly" and "obviously". What you actually mean
to say is "in my opinion".

You still have yet to articulate what YOUR ACTUAL PROBLEM is. If
you have substantive criticisms, enhancement requests are always
welcome at http://issues.dlang.org

> maybe not all, but at least some. Searching for stuff in phobos
> continually brings up posts about having to fix X in phobos or
> replace Y because of reason Z.

Yes, things can always be better, and in D people are not afraid
to fix them. Unlike your precious C# which sacrifices usability
in order to be backwards compatible with version 1.0.

> It's clear that individuals all added their own thing to
> phobos, all different.

Maybe we should rely on a single person to design everything, or
we should have a committee. Or maybe we shouldn't do those things
because they either rely on a single point of failure and are
anti contributions or they're slow as dog shit.

> You have different people taking the reins creating their
> version of god with no real agreement from the get go what the
> whole point of it all is.

This is not the case. Phobos additions go through a thorough
review process.

> You obviously have some personal reason why you chose to ignore
> these facts.

Yes, for some reason I've become personally invested in D.

No wait, that's stupid because I'm a programmer and I care about
using the best tools for the job.

> I'm only suggesting that a better design can be had, and this
> is de facto.

Then actually suggest something instead of saying "Make it better
guys. Come on, can't you just make it better. Don't expect me to
tell you what 'better' is, or how it could be implemented, just
make it better."

> Phobos isn't perfect.

Never said it was.

> D and phobo's will never achieve millions of lines of code apps
> because it can't handle it.

Unsubstantiated claim.

> Hence, most apps in D are 10's of thousands of lines at most.

Weka's code is 200k+. DMD has 120K lines of D.

> They tend to be simple, more utility or special purpose apps, a
> few games, or just apps that don't require much effort.

Unsubstantiated claim.

> But admitting that D is very unbalanced compared to real world
> language(C\C++\C#\Java\etc) is the first step to recovery.

Give an example.

> but when it comes to the stuff that actually makes the language
> do useful things, it is lacking compared to everything else
> worth considering. Now why is it so unbalanced?

Give an example.

> If D had a better tooling, a truly STANDARD library, an IDE, a
> GUI lib, etc all on par with it's language capabilities,

Give an example of how the current ones are lacking.

> Bruce Jenner... and that's only because he's spending all his
> time trying to find his penis.

Uncalled for. We do not condone personal attacks or bigotry here.

> At some point, The D "community" has to get it's shit together
> and start making real decisions about how to proceed in to the
> future.

How about you start now? What would you like to change?

> Why do you not see the blatant discrepancy between the D
> language and everything else about D?

Give an example.

> Do you think that everything else is truly up to par with the
> language?

Mostly, yeah.