Fiber local GC

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 25 05:39:06 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 25 June 2016 at 10:49:43 UTC, qznc wrote:
> Since fibers are bound to a thread, a thread-local GC would
> help as well. The hard part is how to make it safe.

Yes, but a thread is usually long-lived, so you don't get the
free-all-no-collection-needed speedup.

I don't think it is so hard to make it safe, but we need to get
rid of the idea that it is inconvenient to use a more complex
type system for pointers. I don't really see why that is a big
issue, as type-erasure before code-gen would prevent bloat.

I think it is neither easy or hard to make it safe. It is doable,
if we make the right trade-offs. But more advanced typing of
pointers is most likely needed.