Optimizations and performance

ZombineDev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 26 18:24:27 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 26 June 2016 at 23:27:41 UTC, Jadbox wrote:
> On Saturday, 25 June 2016 at 16:05:08 UTC, ZombineDev wrote:
>> Overall DMD completes mandel.b for 75.5% of the time of the
>> previous version, LDC for 62.6% and GDC for 88.1%. The code is
>> 64.9% of the original (in terms of LOC).
>
> This is what I love: less code with more performance. Great
> work on PR #91... hope it gets merged in soon.

Thanks :)
I think that by using ranges we might be able to write a solution
with 10x less code, but AFAIK, algorithmic changes are not
accepted, because the idea of the benchmark is to show same
solution written in different languages.

> IMHO, D is fast enough (generally speaking). To me, D is
> lacking clear practical examples (e.g. webserver using sql db),
> libraries, and success stories. The fact that there isn't an
> AWS sdk for D makes it a show stopper for most developers I
> talk to.

I am not the right guy to talk about stuff like this, because I
really enjoy writing things from scratch. If I had the time I
would probably follow the steps of projects like Trinix and
PowerNex and I would try to write an OS from scratch :D
Web development is just not my thing. I am glad that there are
other people pushing those areas with D, because it really shows
how versatile the language is and makes the lifes of other people
easier.

For example, see this PR [1] that adds a nice tutorial to Dlang
Tour [2] about deploying vibe.d on Heroku. I know it's not Amazon
AWS, but still it might be helpful. Also, I found this [3] forum
post about AWS Lambda.

BTW have you checked Kai Nacke's book [4] about Web Development
with D?

[1]: https://github.com/stonemaster/dlang-tour/pull/289
[2]: http://tour.dlang.org/tour/en/vibed/vibe-d-web-framework
[3]: