Where is the D deep learning library?

Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 27 08:18:09 PDT 2016

On Monday, 27 June 2016 at 14:10:15 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
> With the latest popularity of Machine Learning, and all the
> achievement we see, where is the D alternative in this area?
>
> C++'s offering makes lot of use of meta-programming already:
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/4py875/dlib_190_clean_c11_deep_learning_api/?ref=share&ref_source=link
>
> Surely a touch of DbI and D's meta power could help!

Building such a library is a lot of work, as in, if you're only
working in your free time, a multi year long task. Sklearn, for
example, took like, four years before it was in a state where
people wanted to use it, and that's built off of many C and C++
projects.

Sure, there are a lot of C libraries that D could provide
wrappers for, but that's not what you're talking about. A true D
library that takes advantage of the compile time features would
have to include thousands of new lines of D code. Plus, in order
to be taken seriously, any new code must be as performant as
possible, so the writer must be skilled in writing low level code
for a lot of platforms, which takes a lot of time.