dmd,druntime,phobos,etc as submodules

qznc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 28 02:13:40 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 28 June 2016 at 06:49:03 UTC, Timothee Cour wrote:
> Is there any reason not to use git submodules to organize the
> various common dlang repos?
>
> see relevant discussion:
>
> *
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/The_annoying_D_build_system_181472.html [from 2012]
>
> * http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.d.general/172893
>
> * [llvm-dev] Git Move: GitHub+modules proposal
> where llvm is proposing doing the same: Move to GitHub with N+1
> projects:
> all current LLVM projects + the "llvm-projs" umbrella. The
> latter will have
> all other projects as
> "submodules" with the intent to:"

I don't believe a root repo makes sense.

Submodules should be used to model actual dependencies.
For example, phobos does not depend on dmd, since it could be ldc
or gdc as well.

Some dependencies are: dmd depends on druntime and phobos; phobos
depends on druntime. However, you cannot give dmd *and* phobos a
druntime submodule, since that would duplicate it.

Currently, the assumed directory structure is to have dmd,
phobos, druntime side by side. Using my submodules philosophy
would change that to a nested structure. Probably not worth the
hassle.