Where is the D deep learning library?

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 28 05:11:49 PDT 2016

On Monday, 27 June 2016 at 18:01:54 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> On Monday, 27 June 2016 at 15:31:07 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
>> Well I get the manpower thing, everything we do is quite
>> labour-intensive. I'm just curious nobody started such an
>> effort (but there was with DlangScience, gamedev, web...).
>
> D doesn't even have the building blocks in D code. Ndslice and
> the upcoming BLAS in D are nessesary steps if we want a
> idiomatic D machine learning library. And that's just the
> foundational work.
>
>> You don't need to match the manpower and stability of the
>> established solution to make something useful. Perhaps there
>> could be something distinctive enough to make it attractive?
>
> Unfortunately, academics (who are usually the target audience
> for these libraries) are very set in their ways. You'll need
> something that surpasses the functionality of the current
> solutions and is just as easy to use in order for it to catch
> on :/

It should be added that for the development library "mir" where
the upcoming BLAS in D will be hosted, we have plans to integrate
also building blocks for ML. In fact Ilya already pushed an
online LDA algorithm [1].
At the moment we lack the manpower to focus more on this, but any
help is of course appreciated ;-)

See this issue for details:
https://github.com/libmir/mir/issues/166

[1] http://docs.mir.dlang.io/latest/mir_model_lda_hoffman.html