Does a Interpretation-Engine fit in phobos ?

ZombineDev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 30 05:32:43 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 30 June 2016 at 10:28:03 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently had a breakthrough in my CTFE work.
>
> Though because habits die hard.
> I am writing the bytecode-engine in a CTFEable style.
> Therefore I can be used as a quite comfortable IR for CTFE
> things as well.
>
> It should be fairly easy to generate a inline-asm-string from
> the byteCode  at compiletime.
> And thereby creating the possibility of generating optimized
> code at compile-time.
>
> I was wondering if such a thing would fit in phobos.
>
> Please share your opinions with me :)
>
> Regards,
> Stefan

I think that's a great idea! It could be also useful for further
optimizing ctRegex, among other things.

But I agree with others - please put it on DUB first so we can
test it more widely before it's ready for Phobos. As we all know
getting something accepted into Pbobos is not a walk in the park,
unless you already have the perfect design:
http://dlangcomicstrips.tumblr.com/image/128280515097
:D

BTW AFAIK @9il has done something similar for his BLAS library.
His code generates inline LLVM IR at CT for LDC and generates
vanilla D code for DMD.

Some realated discussions:
https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues/1438
https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues/1482