Blocking points for further D adoption

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 30 16:48:29 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 30 June 2016 at 22:48:44 UTC, dalailambda wrote:

> I think if dub were distributed with DMD, along with a utility
> to install global programs (that way a D plugin can just call
> `dub install workspace-d` or similar), it would make it very
> easy to get started with D.

DUB only recently hit 1.0. Now that it has, it is planned to
begin bundling it with DMD.

> [0] As much as the "reference compiler vs faster compiler"
> distinction, I feel like languages that have a single official
> compiler that you can use for development and production (e.g.
> Go/Rust) are much friendlier.

DMD *is* the official compiler. That's what a reference compiler
is. The other compilers are there for those who want them and are
developed independently of DMD. It's no different from the
situation with Java (with the exception that Oracle doesn't link
to other compilers on their JDK download page). No one says you
*have* to use LDC or GDC for production, or that you can't use
DMD. It's just as a recommendation for those who care about
squeezing out every last drop of performance.