State of the Compiler

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 1 05:53:06 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 1 March 2016 at 13:19:29 UTC, Luis wrote:
> There is some discussion if dmd should not use phobos because
> there would be a circular relation. Well, as you pointed CLang
> uses std, so where is the problem ?

I don't think there is a problem, but if there is a problem then
that problem would transfer to all other major projects using
phobos.

Either phobos is considered alpha (unstable api) or not.  If it
is ok to use it for a database engine, then it is ok to use it
for the compiler as well. If not then people should be given fair
warning of what is and isn't considered alpha.

> I think that not should be any problem if dmd always uses the
> previous version of phobos to bootstrap itself.

Yes, perhaps not the previous version, but a specified stable
version (same version for compiler, runtime and library).

There is no "circular relation" in this as long as you use a
compiler that is pretty solid.