std.xml2 (collecting features)

Alex Vincent via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 1 18:50:22 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 24 February 2016 at 10:55:01 UTC, Dejan Lekic wrote:
> If you really want to be serious about the XML package, then I
> humbly believe implementing the commonly-known DOM interfaces
> is a must. Luckily there is IDL available for it:
> https://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Core/idl/dom.idl . Also,
> speaking about DOM, all levels need to be supported!

I agree, but the Document Object Model (DOM) is a huuuuuuuuge
project.  It's a project I'd love to take an active hand in
driving.  Also, DOM "level 4" is a living standard at whatwg.org,
along with rules for parsing HTML.  (Which naturally means the
rules are always changing.)

I have a partial implementation of DOM in JavaScript, so I am
serious when I say it's going to take time.

Ideally (imho), we'd have a set of related packages, prefixed
with std.web:
* html
* xml
* dom
* css
* javascript

(Yes, I'm suggesting a rename of std.xml2 to std.web.xml.)

But from what I can see, realistically the community is a long
way from that.  I'm trying to write the SAX interfaces now.  I
only have a limited amount of time to devote to this (a common
complaint, I gather)...