State of the Compiler

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 2 11:08:35 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 1 March 2016 at 21:01:13 UTC, Mathias Lang wrote:
>>Most _serious_ developers go for mature frameworks and
>> libraries for major projects.
>>
> https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/no-true-scotsman

Here I thought I stated one of the most obvious empirical fact,
but in the D community there is no shortage of butt-hurt
defensiveness which means that the even the most obvious facts
have to be contradicted. That's the kind of attitude which will
make professional look elsewhere.

> IMO this discussion belongs to dmd-internal.

This is a general end-user forum, are you saying that people
should not be allowed to discuss things openly and freely when
the lead developer brings the topic to the table?

Nobody has said that this discussions cannot be discussed
elsewhere. I would expect that there has been internal
discussions on this topic before it was published here in the
_General_ forum.

> And there are a lot of low hanging fruits to harvest before
> Phobos, some of them don't even require compiler knowledge.

Focusing on "Low hanging fruits" has been costly for this project.

Walter is getting it exactly right on the
encapsulation/refactoring issue. This is currently discouraging
people from digging into the compiler internals. Combine
refactoring with documentation and you get more people working on
the compiler.

Making it more _fun_ and easier for new people to jump into the
code base would b a very important strategy. Making the codebase
more idiomatic would be an important step.