State of the Compiler

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 2 14:12:11 PST 2016

On Monday, 29 February 2016 at 00:10:33 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> This will all take years, but we've already made good progress
> such as the conversion of the source code to D.

You should probably turn at least some of this into a checklist
somewhere so that it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. Also, it
could be used as a source of suggestions for stuff for folks to
work on in the compiler if they want suggestions or want guidance
on which sorts of things that they're thinking about doing should
be done first.

Maybe the wiki should have pages for dmd and Phobos (and possible
druntime) with stuff like this which indicates what you'd prefer
that folks do. They're still free to do whatever they want and
try and get it merged, and most of the core developers already
have a fair idea of what they want to work on (frequently more
than they can get to in a sane time frame), but it might better
inform which things get done first as well as server as
suggestions for new folks who don't know what they can or should
do to help.

- Jonathan M Davis