GSoC 2016 "GDC Project - The GNU D Compiler" project

tsbockman via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 2 14:38:08 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 2 March 2016 at 06:44:24 UTC, Abhishek Kumar wrote:
> On Tuesday, 1 March 2016 at 11:50:02 UTC, Abhishek Kumar wrote:
>> Hello
>> I am Abhishek Kumar,computer science student from India.I am
>> interested in working on D language during GSoC 2016.I found
>> "GDC Project - The GNU D Compiler" interesting.
>> I have interest in programming languages and compilers.I have
>> been working on a Python to C++ code converter,also I am
>> writing a Javascript parser for code minification in
>> Scala(Using scala fastparse). I have prior open source
>> experience in Scala and good knowledge of C/C++.
>>   Can someone help me with how to start and get familiar with
>> D?
>> I'll be glad to have your help and suggestions.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Abhishek Kumar
>
> Hello
> Thanks for your help.I am reading D and hope I'll get familiar
> shortly.Can you give me some
> beginner friendly task to get acquainted with the D compiler?
>
> Thanks
> Abhishek Kumar

Once you've familiarized yourself with the basics of using D, you
can read this:
     http://wiki.dlang.org/Starting_as_a_Contributor
To help you get started contributing.

You can also learn a lot just by going onto D's Github
organization and reviewing some of the open pull requests:
     https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pulls
     https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/pulls
     https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pulls

For GDC, specifically, you'll need to talk to Ian Buclaw, as that
is mostly his project. (But it shares most of its D-specific code
with Walter Bright's DMD compiler, so you should still checkout
the links I gave above.)