GSOC Idea.

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 2 19:14:24 PST 2016

On 03/03/16 9:21 AM, Marco wrote:
> Hi, I am Marco, a CS student at UCL. This is both a presentation post
> and also post where I ask some suggestions about an idea for a GSOC
> project.
>
> I am a first year student and I do now that I may be too inexperienced
> for such difficult projects, but my willingness to learn is big. I am
> very fascinated by the world of compilers. Due to this fact I would
> really appreciate to be selected this summer and to work on a project
> for the D Lang.
>
> My main idea is to port the D Lang to the arduino environment. I do know
> that in past there has been a proposed project for GSOC very similar to
> this idea, but I can't find any actual implementation of this idea on
> the Internet.
>
> Would the task be too difficult? Or with constant hard work would be
> doable?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> (In the case that I will not be selected in the GSOC programme, I will
> probably continue to be an active member of the development of the D
> Lang, due to my real interest for it. So this post is my first step in
> this community)

Half a year ago Jens Bauer was offering Cortex-M's for free for anyone
who wanted one. They would probably be better then Arduino for targeting.

Here is one I'm wanting to get:
http://www.dx.com/p/cortex-m3-stm32f103c8t6-stm32-development-board-w-swd-socket-st-link-v2-programmer-emulator-395848#.VterNJx97IU

Fairly cheap and yes you can use STM32's with Arduino.

You will need to basically rebuild druntime from scratch and use either
ldc or gdc. Unless of course you want to add an ARM target to dmd which
would be very appreciated (but incredibly a lot harder).