A very interesting slide deck comparing sync and async IO

Brad Anderson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 3 10:24:52 PST 2016

On Thursday, 3 March 2016 at 17:31:59 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> https://www.mailinator.com/tymaPaulMultithreaded.pdf
>
> Andrei

Related to this, I watched a talk about user-level threads by
another Google engineer awhile back (also named Paul but not the
same person).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXuZi9aeGTw

It's been awhile so I may have this a bit wrong but as I remember
it the gist was that OSes don't have enough information for
efficient scheduling and context switching of threads but if the
OS lets the application handle it the context switching cost
drops significantly (down to roughly 200ns).

I came across it while following some Rust development which was
a very interesting read:
https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/rust-dev/2013-November/006550.html

It's a bit over two years old now so I'm not sure what path Rust
took.