GSOC Idea.

Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 4 01:53:06 PST 2016

Am Thu, 03 Mar 2016 14:09:33 +0000
schrieb Marco <marcoc.r at outlook.com>:

> On Thursday, 3 March 2016 at 09:29:38 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
> > Am Thu, 3 Mar 2016 16:14:24 +1300
> > schrieb Rikki Cattermole <alphaglosined at gmail.com>:
> >
> > [...]
>
> > The arduino Due uses a Cortex M3, so arduino could mean ARM or
> > AVR.
> > GDC can target AVR devices with minimal changes. The main
> > problem
> > is that you really can't use druntime / typeinfo on such small
> > devices
> > and that some features (e.g. simply using structs) require
> > TypeInfo. I have some outdated commits here to disable the
> > TypeInfo
> > stuff:
> > https://github.com/D-Programming-microD/GDC/commits/microD
> >
> > [...]
>
> Thank you for your detailed answers. Now I do understand that
> working with D and arduino maybe be out of my capability. I may
> now decide to work on porting a parser generator library to
> phobos. I do know that pegged is a parser generator in D. Can
> this new project be easier? I am also quite interested in
> parsing, so that would be a very good experience for me.
>
> Sorry for being such a newbie, I hope you understand my
> willingness to learn.

Sorry if my answer scared you away from that task :-) I think it's not
necessarily difficult, but as there's no finished/polished
D implementation for embedded devices yet it's pioneering work.
And as it affects many areas in the D ecosystem (compiler,druntime,dub)
and some low-level programming it's much easier for someone
already familiar with low-level D implementation details and/or
embedded programming.

I don't know anything about parser generators, so somebody else will
have to answer these questions. You should probably start a new thread
with an updated title for that though, to get some more attention.