Pitching D to academia

cym13 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 6 01:14:01 PST 2016

On Sunday, 6 March 2016 at 07:38:01 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> Motivated by Dmitry's "Pitching D to a gang of Gophers" thread,
> how about pitching it to a gang of professors and graduate
> students?
>
> I will be presenting D to such an audience at METU in Ankara.
> What are the points that you would stress? I am thinking that
> they would be interested more in whether D is better as a
> teaching tool. Do you agree?
>
> Ali

I would insist heavily on the multiparadigm properties of D:
being able to teach C-like imperative programming, java-like OOP,
compilers and assembly, purity and functional paradigms, testing
and profiling, all that without having to change language even
once is likely to be D's strongest strength for a teacher I think.