std.database

Erik Smith via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 6 07:59:22 PST 2016

On Sunday, 6 March 2016 at 08:53:05 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Saturday, 5 March 2016 at 18:00:56 UTC, Erik Smith wrote:
>> I'm definitely going to start working in async capability (or
>> more accurately, non-blocking) into the interface.
>
> Huh? Non-blocking operation is not reflected in interface. Only
> asynchronous requires special interface. Vibe interfaces are
> synchronous.

I think a basic non-blocking interface should be similar to the
synchronous one, but also exposes a file/socket descriptor to
pass to the event system and also provide status method for
whether the R/W operation is waiting.

> I've looked into OCI headers, they say something about
> asynchronous operations, do you know something about that?

I need to look into this more, but the OCI non-blocking model is
problematic (a missing file descriptor maybe).  It can probably
be made to work since Node now has a driver directly from Oracle,
but I'm not sure if it has the same scaling profile as other
non-blocking clients.