Pitching D to academia

Chris Wright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 6 09:27:35 PST 2016

On Sat, 05 Mar 2016 23:38:01 -0800, Ali Çehreli wrote:

> Motivated by Dmitry's "Pitching D to a gang of Gophers" thread, how
> about pitching it to a gang of professors and graduate students?
>
> I will be presenting D to such an audience at METU in Ankara. What are
> the points that you would stress? I am thinking that they would be
> interested more in whether D is better as a teaching tool. Do you agree?
>
> Ali

D has good support for functional programming. It's had support for this
long enough that it's well baked into the standard library.

It doesn't do single-write, all-values-are-immutable style so well,
though, which is another intuitive leap learning functional languages.
But if you get people used to first-class functions in D, where they can
make everything mutable, it should be easier to teach Haskell or OCaml or
Elm.